|Official name||UN World Environment Day|
|Also called||Eco Day, Environment Day, WED|
|Significance||Environmental issues awareness|
|First time||5 June 1974; 43 years ago (5 June 1974)|
World Environment Day (WED) occurs on 5 June every year, and is the United Nations' principal vehicle for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment. First held in 1974, it has been a flagship campaign for raising awareness on emerging environmental issues from marine pollution, human overpopulation, and global warming, to sustainable consumption and wildlife crime. WED has grown to become a global platform for public outreach, with participation from over 143 countries annually. Each year, WED has a new theme that major corporations, NGOs, communities, governments and celebrities worldwide adopt to advocate environmental causes.
World Environment Day [WED] was established by the UN General Assembly in 1972 on the first day of Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment, resulting from discussions on the integration of human interactions and the environment. Two years later, in 1974 the first WED was held with the theme "Only One Earth". Even though WED celebration have been held annually since 1974, in 1987 the idea for rotating the center of these activities through selecting different host countries began.
Annual themes and major initiatives and accomplishments
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it.(January 2016)
For almost five decades, World Environment Day has been raising awareness, supporting action, and driving change. Here is a timeline of key accomplishments in WEDs’ history:
The theme for this year is 'Beat Plastic Pollution'.The host nation is India.
The theme for 2017 is 'Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator'. The host nation is Canada.
The 2016 WED was organized under the theme "Go wild for life". This edition of the WED aims to reduce and prevent the illegal trade in wildlife.Angola was chosen as the host country of the 2016 WED during the COP21 in Paris.
The Slogan of the 2015 edition of the World Environment Day is "Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care". The slogan was picked through a voting process on social media. In Saudi Arabia, 15 women recycled 2000 plastic bags to crochet a mural in support of the WED 2015. In India, Narendra Modi planted a Kadamb sapling to celebrate the World Environment Day and raise awareness for Environment. Italy is the host country of the 43rd edition of the WED. The celebrations took place as part of Milan Expo around the theme: Feeding the Planet - Energy for Life.
The Theme of the 2014 WED is : International Year of Small Islands Developing States (SIDS). By choosing this Theme the UN General Assembly aimed to highlight the development Challenges and successes of the SIDS. In 2014, the World Environment Day focused on global warming and its impact on ocean levels. The Slogan of the WED 2014 is "Raise your voice not the sea level", as Barbados hosted the global celebrations of the 42nd edition of the World Environment Day. The UN Environement Programme named actor Ian Somerhalder as the official Goodwill ambassador of the WED 2014.
The 2013 theme for World Environment Day was Think.Eat.Save.
The campaign addressed the huge annual wastage and losses in food, which, if conserved, would release a large quantity of food as well as reduce the overall carbon footprint. The campaign aimed to bring about awareness in countries with lifestyles resulting in food wastage. It also aimed to empower people to make informed choices about the food they eat so as to reduce the overall ecological impact due to the worldwide production of food..The host country for the year's celebrations was Mongolia.
The theme for the 2012 World Environment Day was Green Economy: Does it include you?
The theme aimed to invite people to examine their activities and lifestyle and see how the concept of a "Green Economy" fits into it. The host country for the year's celebrations was Brazil.
The theme for 2011 was Forests-Nature At Your Service. Thousands of activities were organized worldwide, with beach clean-ups, concerts, exhibits, film festivals, community events and much more. This year's global host, India, is a country of wide biodiversity.
'Many Species. One Planet. One Future', was the theme of 2010.
It celebrated the diversity of life on Earth as part of the 2010 International Year of Biodiversity. It was hosted in Rwanda. Thousands of activities were organized worldwide, with beach clean-ups, concerts, exhibits, film festivals, community events and much more. Each continent (except Antarctica) had a "regional host city", the U.N. chose Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania as the host for all North.
The theme for WED 2009 was 'Your Planet Needs You – UNite to Combat Climate Change', and Michael Jackson's 'Earth Song' was declared 'World Environment Day Song'. It was hosted in Mexico.
The host for World Environment Day 2008 was New Zealand, with the main international celebrations scheduled for Wellington. The slogan for 2008 was "CO2, Kick the Habit! Towards a Low Carbon Economy." New Zealand was one of the first countries to pledge to achieve carbon neutrality, and will also focus on forest management as a tool for reducing greenhouse gases.
The Chicago Botanic Garden served as the North American host for World Environment Day on 5 June 2008.
The topic for World Environment Day for 2007 was "Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?" During International Polar Year, WED 2007 focused on the effects that climate change is having on polar ecosystems and communities, on other ice- and snow-covered areas of the world, and the resulting global impacts.
The main international celebrations of the WED 2007 were held in the city of Tromsø, Norway, a city north of the Arctic Circle.
The topic for WED 2006 was Deserts and Desertification and the slogan was "Don't desert drylands".
The slogan emphasised the importance of protecting drylands. The main international celebrations of the World Environment Day 2006 were held in Algeria.
The theme for the 2005 World Environment Day was "Green Cities" and the slogan was "Plan for the Planet!".
World Environment Day celebrations have been (and will be) hosted in the following cities:
|1974||Only one Earth during Expo '74||Spokane, United States|
|1975||Human Settlements||Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|1976||Water: Vital Resource for Life||Ontario, Canada|
|1977||Ozone Layer Environmental Concern; Lands Loss and Soil Degradation||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1978||Development Without Destruction||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1979||Only One Future for Our Children – Development Without Destruction||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1980||A New Challenge for the New Decade: Development Without Destruction||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1981||Ground Water; Toxic Chemicals in Human Food Chains||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1982||Ten Years After Stockholm (Renewal of Environmental Concerns)||Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|1983||Managing and Disposing Hazardous Waste: Acid Rain and Energy||Sylhet, Bangladesh|
|1985||Youth: Population and the Environment||Islamabad, Pakistan|
|1986||A Tree for Peace||Ontario, Canada|
|1987||Environment and Shelter: More Than A Roof||Nairobi, Kenya|
|1988||When People Put the Environment First, Development Will Last||Bangkok, Thailand|
|1989||Global Warming; Global Warning||Brussels, Belgium|
|1990||Children and the Environment||Mexico City, Mexico|
|1991||Climate Change. Need for Global Partnership||Stockholm, Sweden|
|1992||Only One Earth, Care and Share||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|1993||Poverty and the Environment – Breaking the Vicious Circle||Beijing, People's Republic of China|
|1994||One Earth One Family||London, United Kingdom|
|1995||We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment||Pretoria, South Africa|
|1996||Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home||Istanbul, Turkey|
|1997||For Life on Earth||Seoul, Republic of Korea|
|1998||For Life on Earth – Save Our Seas||Moscow, Russian Federation|
|1999||Our Earth – Our Future – Just Save It!||Tokyo, Japan|
|2000||The Environment Millennium – Time to Act||Adelaide, Australia|
|2001||Connect with the World Wide Web of Life||Torino, Italy and Havana, Cuba|
|2002||Give Earth a Chance||Shenzhen, People's Republic of China|
|2003||Water – Two Billion People are Dying for It!||Beirut, Lebanon|
|2004||Wanted! Seas and Oceans – Dead or Alive?||Barcelona, Spain|
|2005||Green Cities – Plan for the Planet!||San Francisco, United States|
|2006||Deserts and Desertification – Don't Desert Drylands!||Algiers, Algeria|
|2007||Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?||London, England|
|2008||Kick The Habit – Towards A Low Carbon Economy||Wellington, New Zealand|
|2009||Your Planet Needs You – Unite to Combat Climate Change||Mexico City, Mexico|
|2010||Many Species. One Planet. One Future||Rangpur, Bangladesh|
|2011||Forests: Nature at your Service||New Delhi, India|
|2012||Green Economy: Does it include you?||Brasilia, Brazil|
|2013||Think.Eat.Save. Reduce Your Foodprint||Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia|
|2014||Raise your voice, not the sea level||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|2015||Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care.||Rome, Italy|
|2016||Zero Tolerance for the Illegal Wildlife trade||Luanda, Angola|
|2017||Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator||Ottawa, Canada|
|2018||Beat Plastic Pollution||New Delhi, India|
World Environment Day Anthem
An Earth Anthem penned by poet Abhay K is sung to celebrate World Environment Day.
Our cosmic oasis, cosmic blue pearl the most beautiful planet in the universe all the continents and the oceans of the world united we stand as flora and fauna united we stand as species of one earth black, brown, white, different colours . we are humans, the earth is our home.
Our cosmic oasis, cosmic blue pearl the most beautiful planet in the universe all the people and the nations of the world all for one and one for all united we unfurl the blue marble flag black, brown, white, different colours we are humans, the earth is our home.
It was launched in June 2013 on the occasion of the World Environment Day by Kapil Sibal and Shashi Tharoor, then Union Ministers of India, at a function organized by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations in New Delhi. It is supported by the global organization Habitat For Humanity.
- ^"World Environment Day - 5 June". www.un.org. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^2017 Host country named as Canada, UNEP, 31 Jan 2017
- ^Hub, IISD's SDG Knowledge. "Event: World Environment Day 2016 | SDG Knowledge Hub | IISD". Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"Angola to Host World Environment Day in 2016". Angola Press Agency (Luanda). 2015-12-14. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^Programme, Climate Action. "Angola to host World Environment Day 2016". www.climateactionprogramme.org. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^Hub, IISD's SDG Knowledge. "Event: World Environment Day 2015 | SDG Knowledge Hub | IISD". Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"Vote for your World Environment Day 2015 slogan | capacity4dev.eu". europa.eu. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"World Environment Day 2015 :: Our Planet". web.unep.org. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"PM plants "Kadamb" sapling on World Environment Day". www.narendramodi.in. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"Why PM Modi planted 'Kadamb' sapling on World Environment Day?". Microfinance Monitor. 2015-06-05. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"Italy hosts the official World Environment Day celebrations at Expo Milano". TreeHugger. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"World Environment Day 2014 | Department of Environmental Affairs". www.environment.gov.za. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^Reporter, Staff (2014-06-05). "World Environment Day 2014: Theme, History, Host Country and Observances". International Business Times UK. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"World Environment Day 2014". www.icimod.org. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^"Ian Somerhalder named Goodwill Ambassador for World Environment Day 2014". TreeHugger. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- ^ ab""Think.Eat.Save" World Environment Day 5 June". World Environment Day. United Nations Environment Programme. 5 June 2013. Archived from the original on 5 June 2013. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- ^ abTimes News Network (31 May 2012). "World Environment Day 2012: Let's pledge to make earth a better place". Times of India : Environment. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- ^World Environment Day – Raise Your Voice, Not the Sea Level
- ^World Environment Day 2010
- ^The New Emerald City – Pittsburgh Magazine – April 2010 – Pittsburgh, PA
- ^"WED That Was – 2009". Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- ^UNEP Press Release, 1 October 2007, "Kick the Habit – World Environment Day 2008 to be Hosted by New Zealand with Focus on Fostering Low-Carbon Economies", accessed 10 November 2007
- ^world environment day 2008 host countries
- ^Norwegian Polar Institute, World Environment Day 2007–information in Englishand NorwegianArchived 1 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^World Environment Day 2005 Official Site, 2005, "About World Environment Day 2005", accessed 28 May 2009
- ^World Environment Day 5 June 2008 – UNEP, accessed 6 June 2008
- ^World Environment Day The Nation, Sri Lanka, 30 May 2015
- ^K, Abhay (27 April 2014). "Earth Anthem". Earth Anthem Website.
- ^"Indian diplomat pens anthem for earth". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- ^Habitat for Humanity International gets people to sing Earth Anthem ANI, 30 Aug 2014
World Environment Day
World Environment Day is used to celebrate on the 5th June to make the people to get aware about the Environment and it’s effects on the daily life of the people. There are lots of activities which are done by the people in the Environment to develop some things for the welfare of the people. Environment is a Natural Thing where people live and do lot of activities for their own welfare and benefit. People are used to damage and also save the Environment resources by which people are affected due to various bad as well as good effects of the Environment.
People are more reluctant today to save the Environment for their Future and also for the Young Generations. Environment makes the people to do lot of things and fulfill it in a great manner. There are lots of problems while people have to face when they damage the Environment. It is necessary for the people to save the Environment in order to focus on the developmental activities in the Country. It is quite good for the people to protect the Environment for the better effects on the daily life of the people.
People are used to develop much of the activities to proceed for the further development of many of the activities which relies on the previous activities to be developed. It is quite important for the people to carry out lot of tasks for the better development of the activities. People should be able to focus on that things by which they can create lot of good things for the future. There are many people who are used to concentrate on the Future activities for the future development.
People have to save lot of resources for the future of the Young Generations as it is noted that much of the resources today are getting finish quickly for fulfilling lot of dreams of the people. It is very important for the people to protect the necessary and available resources for the future purpose as if they get finish then it will be very difficult for the people to many kinds of things without the resources. There are many resources which are finishing day-by-day in a very quick manner. Many People use the huge amount of resources for their own benefit and welfare which can become a major factor of finishing of the Resources.
One has to maintain a proper idea and plan to consume resources in a sufficient way or when it is necessary to the people by which it is saved for the future use for the young generations. It is quite important to know the requirement of the people to consume the resources in order to get them every idea to save lot of resources for the future. There are many people who are used to cut many trees for their own benefit. They cut trees for the purpose of development of the Country to get all the necessary things to them. It is very important that every dream of the people can’t be fulfilled by the Limited Environment as If they do it then there will be lot of issues which everyone has to face in the future.
Celebration of the World Environment Day
World Environment Day is used to celebrate by lots of people to get them every knowledge about protecting lots of Environment Resources for their future use. It is celebrated for making the people to come across many effects of the Environment after the activities done on the Environment. Many people Now-a-days are used to cut many of the long as well as short trees to develop many types of Foods and other Materials. Tress provides lot of Raw Materials for making many kinds of Products in our Daily life. It is used to provide many types of Foods and also Fruits for keeping the people and also many other living beings alive.
There are many people who use many of the Fuel as well as Oil in their Vehicles to travel from one place to another. They use it for many of the necessary as well as unnecessary work for their enjoyment. So it is important for the people to save lot of resources by making use of it only when it is very necessary to use the resources. One should not use the resources for any unnecessary purpose to save lot of resources for the future use. People are ambitious today to visit every place with the help of Vehicles and not by the Public Trains which are kept for them to travel any long as well as short distance.
So One should not waste much of the resources in order to fulfill their own dreams due to the limited resources and also savings in the future. People should focus on those activities by which they should be able to allow the young generations to get every kind of things which they require it in the future. It is quite important to make the people aware of the Environmental ill effects and their effects on the future when they do many kinds of things which they should not do it. Government has made lot of Ideas and Plans to concentrate on the limited resources to grow in a better way for the future of the people.
Government Now-a-days made many ideas to save lot of resources by increasing the cost of the petrol and diesel and also the Oil and Gas for making the people to consume resources for their necessary things and not for any unnecessary things. It is very necessary for the Government to focus on the important activities like the saving the resources of the Environment. Government has spread many types of Environmental News in the Newspaper as well as many online Websites to make the people aware of the Environmental facts and their effects on the people. It is very important to make the people to know the good and bad effects of the Environment on the people for stopping them from damaging the Natural Environment which is very valuable to everyone in the World. So every people have to concentrate on the Environmental activities to keep the Environment good and maintain for the future use.
Themes of the World Environment Day
People are used to celebrate World Environment Day to make them aware about the facts and effects of the Environment on the life of all the people who are living due to the Natural Environment. So Government has kept many of the Themes for the Environment to make the people know about the causes and effects of the Environment and to protect it for the future use. It is quite important for the people to save the Natural Environment for the young generation to come up with better ideas for development of the Country. So there are lot of Themes by which Government are used to make the people to get them every knowledge to ensure better Natural Environment for the future use and the Themes are as follows :-
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2016 was “No Tolerance for the Trade which is Illegal”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2015 was “One Environment for One World”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2014 was “Small Islands for Improving States and also Raise your Voice and not the level of the Sea”,
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2013 was “Think, Save, Eat with the Slogan of Decrease your Footprint”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2012 was “Green Finance : Can it include you?”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2011 was “Forest : Nature for all your Facility”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2010 was “One Future, One Planet, Many Species”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2009 was “Come Together to Combat change in the Climate – Our Planet needs us”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2008 was “CO2, Stop the Habit – Going Towards the Low Economy of the Carbon”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2007 was “a Hot Topic – Melting Ice”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2006 was “Desertification and the Deserts and the Slogan was “Don’t finish the Drylands”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2005 was “Cities are Green and Slogan was Think for the Planet”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2004 was “Seas and the Oceans which is Wanted and the Dead or Alive was the Slogan”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2003 was “Water and the Slogan was almost Two Crore people are dying for it”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2002 was “Give a Chance for the Earth”.
- Theme for the World Environment Day in the year 2001 was “Connection to done with the World Wide Web for the Life”.