When you meet someone for the first time, you often remember best what the person said, whether they communicated clearly and if they were interesting. Your cover letter for your resume serves as an introduction to your skills and experience, and should make the interviewer want to know more about you. It is also important to relate your cover letter to the specific retail environment that you are applying for. Looking at this free retail sales associate cover letter sample is helpful to get ideas for writing your own cover letter. Check out this sample and the other tips to make the best impression with your writing.
Free Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter Sample
Dear Mr. Johnson,
I am interested in the Game Mart retail sales associate position that was advertised on your website. I am hoping to further my career in sales, and I feel that your position is the ideal opportunity because I am knowledgeable in many aspects of computer gaming.
Currently I work at Handy Hardware, where I keep the store aisles clean and help customers find the products they are looking for. I especially enjoy providing great customer service so that customers get exactly what they need for their household projects.
I would like to expand my knowledge of the retail environment by getting a position where I work in sales full time. I desire to learn point-of-sale skills in addition to working more with customers. My attention to customer service as well as my knowledge of the gaming industry would be a good fit for your Game Mart location.
I am a motivated individual who is looking to advance in the retail industry. Thank you for your consideration of me for this position. I look forward to discussing this job opportunity with you in the near future.
What to Include in a Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter
Be sure to mirror the language in the job description in the writing of your cover letter. As with this free retail sales associate cover letter sample, never write a letter that is more than a page long. You want to give the interviewer an appealing glimpse of your skills and experience that will make them want to continue on to your resume.
Industry Specific Skills to Include
Of course you will tailor your cover letter to fit the particular job that you are applying for, but you also want to add some extra quality by mentioning specific skills you have. When mentioning aptitudes in your letter, be sure to give an example of how you display these skills, following the example set in this free retail sales associate cover letter sample.
• Service-Oriented: The customer always comes first with their wants and needs. A sales associate needs to be friendly and responsive to customers.
• Communication Skills: Retail sales demand great communication skills in both listening and speaking to best address customer needs.
• Consistency: Sales associates need to be consistent in following the policies of the employer regarding sales campaigns and company procedures.
• Sales Skills: Persuasiveness and knowledge of sales techniques are a plus to mention.
Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter
Retail Sales Associates are responsible for sales activities in a retail store. These employees handle sales from lead generation to closing and are required to go the extra mile to meet client expectations. Examples of Retail Sales Associate duties include: approaching potential customers, identifying customer needs, updating their knowledge of products and services, collaborating with coworkers, ensuring customer service, and maintaining a trust relationship with customers.
Based on our collection of Retail Sales Associate cover letter samples, the most sought-after skills for this position include:
- Selling skills
- Proved track of over-achieving sales quota
- Stamina and perseverance
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-confidence and enthusiasm
- Computer literacy
- Attention to details and an observant manner
Below is provided an example Retail Sales Associate cover letter showcasing similar qualifications and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Retail Sales Associate Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Newlon:
Upon learning of your posting for a Retail Sales Associate, I was eager to forward my resume for your review. As an experienced and motivated retail professional with strong leadership and interpersonal abilities combined with expertise in visual merchandising and customer service, I am prepared to significantly contribute to Paisley Patterns’ goals in this role.
My background includes spearheading inventory management, needs assessment, and register operations to drive sales and customer service success. From implementing effective retail sales strategies to achieving top sales performances, I excel at collaborating with cross-functional teams and exceeding corporate goals and objectives.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Excelling in 6-year tenure as a Retail Sales Associate for The Kitchen Store, demonstrating a deep understanding of effective sales, merchandising, and customer service strategies to achieve dynamic sales and revenue enhancement.
- Exhibiting a hands-on approach to retail sales, implementing high-impact initiatives and strategies to propel sales performance.
- Proven dedication to ensuring customer service excellence, resulting in solid customer loyalty and satisfaction.
- Exceptional communication, organization, and interpersonal skills, with a personable demeanor and a keen attention to detail.
My skills in sales, customer relationship management, and general retail store operations are proven, and I am confident my additional strengths will readily translate to your environment. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you further. Thank you for your consideration.
Mary A. Rabon